Essential medical treatment for individuals who experience ulcers, which are open sores inside or on the surface of the body, or wounds, which involve broken tissue, usually on the surface of the body. Types of wounds include:
- Abrasions, which include road rashes
- Incisions, which are caused by sharp objects and often bleed profusely
- Lacerations, which are similar to incisions but involving deeper cuts and tearing
- Punctures, small holes that may be deep and may damage internal organs
- Avulsions, which involve major skin tearing (usually from serious accidents) and often bleed very rapidly
While small wounds may be treated at home, larger wounds may require medical intervention where they are treated with medical glue, stitches, or sutures.